This fruit loaf is rich in fruity flavors (and fruit) and is perfectly balanced with Flying Fish Crushed Orange. Try this easy recipe at home to enjoy this long weekend!
Flying Fish is a true beer without malty heaviness and pronounced bitterness of many beers. It’s light and refreshingly crisp with a hint of orange and fruit sweetness. The beer and loaf complement each other very subtly, and make a great pairing for a long, sunny autumn afternoon.
Beer infused fruit loaf recipe
- 500g mixed cake fruit
- 440ml can of Flying Fish Crushed Orange flavoured beer
- 60ml orange juice
- 10ml orange rind
- 80ml oil
- 2 extra large eggs
- 375ml brown sugar
- 4 x 250 ml flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Soak fruit in the beer overnight or for at least 5 hours.
- Combine mixture in a large bowl.
- Add orange juice and rind, oil, eggs and sugar.
- Sift in the rest of the flour and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into two 20 x 10cm loaf tins
- Bake at 160 ° C for 1 hour, until a skewer comes out clean when tested.
- Remove the loaves from the tins and place on a cooling rack.
- Enjoy your fruit loaf with a cup of tea, or paired with a Flying Fish!
This recipe was prepared by the Angela Day Kitchen as part of their recent beer and food pairing workshop. Keep an eye on SAB Stories for more Angela Day beer and food pairing recipes in future.
If you are a little shy of the kitchen you can also enjoy the pairing of Flying Fish with shop-bought hot cross buns or similar fruity cakes.